Skip to main content

What you should know to protect your family and home

Outdoors, mold is a part of nature, helping to break down leaves and organic materials. Indoors, mold can be downright dangerous. Exposure to mold in the home can cause allergic reactions, asthma attacks, and other respiratory ailments. Furthermore, some types of mold are toxic. That’s not to mention damage mold can cause to structural components of the home.

Even the cleanest homes may have mold growth. And since mold growth is often very hard to see, it’s important to inspect the home regularly, especially in areas where moisture is present such as basements and bathrooms. If you are planning to buy a home, knowing what to look for is extremely important.  Here are some signs of dangerous mold.

  1. Damp, musty odors – a rotten smell may be caused by mold breaking down within walls and ceilings. This is especially true in damp basements or bath areas with poor ventilation.
  2. Stains on walls and ceiling – mold behind walls and ceiling can seep through, causing stains and damage on plaster, drywall, and wood.
  3. Black or brown substances on walls, tub areas, etc. – Mold can be any color but is usually black, brown, or gray. It can feel soft and fuzzy to the touch and smears easily.
  4. Water damage – a roof leak, indoor plumbing problem, air conditioning units, or basement flooding can create water damage that is perfect for breeding mold. Pay particular attention to such damaged areas.
  5. Increases in allergies and asthma while inside the home – Family members may experience more allergic reactions or asthma attacks when spending time indoors.
  6. Headaches and fatigue – Exposure to toxins produced by certain types of mold can cause serious illness including headaches and chronic fatigue.
  7. Ailing pets – Even cats and dogs can be affected by mold growth. Watch for changes in pet behaviors and general health.
  8. Spots on clothing – Mold can often make an appearance as small black or white spots on articles of clothing, especially in damp laundry areas.
  9. Peeling wallpaper – Wallpaper that begins to peel in a bath or kitchen area can be an indicator of mold growth. Mold spores can easily get behind wallpaper and break down the adhesive that holds it in place.
  10. Moisture, moisture, moisture – basements, baths, kitchens, laundry areas, attics, garages. Mold can grow anywhere there is moisture, so it pays to be vigilant.

Break the mold with professional remediation.

Removing mold is only half the battle in getting rid of it and stopping it from coming back. The source of moisture needs to be found and eliminated as well. Otherwise, mold can be an endless cycle.

ENVIROSAFE is a New York State Licensed Mold Contractor under the New York State Mold Law Article 32. We have many years of experience and our technically trained, professional staff has what it takes to address mold and the source of the mold. Contact us for more information today.