Toxic mold is a type of mold that produces hazardous biproducts called mycotoxins and can occur in residential and commercial buildings. While individuals with asthma and other respiratory problems may have reactions to many types of mold, it is thought that mycotoxins are more likely to trigger health problems like memory loss and severe lung problems especially in infants, elderly, and immune deficient individuals.
Floating particles of mold are invisible to the naked eye, so its impossible to see where they might have landed until they begin to grow. Mold spores are easily inhaled.
Removing the mold source is only half the battle. Finding the moisture source of the mold and ensuring it does not return, along with removing mold spores from the indoor air is equally important.